Breezy News has learned that Freddie George, former mayor of Kosciusko, has died at 71.

“On behalf of the Board of Aldermen and the City of Kosciusko, we are saddened to learn of the passing of former Mayor Freddie George,” Kosciusko Mayor Jimmy Cockroft said in a statement. “Freddie served the City as Mayor from 1979 until 1989 and has always been very active in the community and a great ambassador of this area. In my time as Mayor, Freddie has always been there for me as a mentor and friend and someone that offered valuable advice. I’d ask the community to be in prayer for his family in the coming days.”

Following his time in office, George went into the restaurant business.

He owned the local eatery GAF’s for a number of years. After a brief time away, George reopened the restaurant as Freddie’s.

Funeral arrangements for Mr. Feddie George:

Visitation Sunday, August 13, from 2 until 5 at the New Culpepper Funeral Home Highway 35 North.

Funeral Service is Monday 11:00 at Culpepper Funeral Home with burial to follow at Parkway Cemetery.

1. Anomous says:

I worked for Freddie for several years. Great man that enjoyed taking care of the Kosciusko community! When he decided to close Gaf’s it changed many lives. So much respect from the community during the years we worked together!! Freddie knew how to cater parties no matter how big or small! Raised two beautiful children Eric and Leslie!! Vickie was always very much involved in the restaurant business as well. Great family!!!

2. Charles Cletone Pope says:

Great man that served our community well. He will be missed by all. People like Freddie are hard to replace.

3. Sandy says:

My thoughts , prayers and condolences to the family of Freddie . He was such a kind loving guy. Always, always had a smile of his face. My Mama used to pick at him and told him he had a mischievous smile!! Haha. He’d laugh and smile even bigger. Tell Mama hello for me,Freddie .
    We will miss you.

4. Kenneth & Mamie Lewis says:

We didn’t know Mayor George, but we do know his son Anthony, who baptized us in the faith. From that, we are confident that the Mayor was a wonderful man because his son is an exceptional human being. Service to others above self; serving this present age unselfishly…. Our heartfelt condolences to the George family and our love ❤️ for allowing his son Anthony to be a vital part of our lives…. Kenneth & Mamie Lewis, Orlando, Florida

5. LeVert says:

Caring man who will be missed by his family and community! May God continue to bless his family with good memories of a loving spouse, father , and cheerleader for this community,

6. Sharon Read says:

Very sorry to hear of Mayor George’s passing. I have known and loved his family for many years. My prayers go out to this loving family knowing the Great God we trust in all things will give them the grace to walk through this together.
    My love and prayers to you all.