City Cracks Down on Motel Apartments

SHARE NOW

The City of Kosciusko is telling the owner of a local motel to make some changes or risk losing his business license.   Mayor Tim Kyle says the Campbell Motel has been operating as an apartment complex….

“We were unaware of that until they posted a sign saying ‘apartments only’.  Well, that area is not zoned for apartments.”

Kyle says the motel isn’t suited for long term accommodations…,.

“You have a lot of people that’s there, trying to live in an apartment-type setting, in one room with no kitchen facilities.”

The mayor says people using hotplates to cook their meals creates a fire danger.  He says there’s also an issue over sales tax not being collected.  The owner has been given until March 19 to convert the building back to a motel or his business license will be revoked.

39 comments
  1. Georgia
    Georgia
    January 22, 2024 at 8:27 AM

I Feel like the people who lived there should get there money back especially the people who had to $650.00 a month with kids and living off Disability income they had to thaw food out in the floor of the Shower floor to feed there kids and self.

2. Tosha
    Tosha
    January 22, 2024 at 9:31 AM

I sure need my money back 2 beds 650 a month make it mandatory give everyone their money back

Real
      January 22, 2024 at 10:42 PM

Please! Were y’all not aware of the conditions before agreeing to pay that $650 ? We are always looking for a way to get over!!

Sarahbeara
        January 23, 2024 at 6:21 PM

I agree with you people just looking to get a dollar back they knew what they were doing.

Bobcat
        January 25, 2024 at 6:06 PM

I believe that many of you were aware of what you were getting into. Now you see an opportunity to get money. The choice was yours.

3. Paul
    Paul
    January 22, 2024 at 10:51 AM

Will we get our money back

4. Chris choate
    Chris choate
    January 22, 2024 at 12:18 PM

If you knew this was an “apartment” and willing to pay the price for a month’s rent is no difference in paying for motel expenses. SO in all fairness I think 🤔 the owner has the right to keep the $. Js motel or apartments your still gonna pay that much rent anywhere, no matter what.

Mikey
      January 22, 2024 at 8:25 PM

Right. Where else would you live with utilities paid for $650???

Danny
      January 24, 2024 at 10:11 PM

Yes they knew they had to pay the required 650.00 and wasn’t told I’m doing this illegally.what I call a apartment is just lying to you.it’s only one room even no kitchen yes legally he owns the money back hecommirtrd fraud

5. Sally Jessie
    Sally Jessie
    January 22, 2024 at 1:52 PM

The month is over… No refunds!

6. Sally Jessie
    Sally Jessie
    January 22, 2024 at 1:55 PM

Glendale “APARTMENTS” has some 2 bedrooms available it’s less than a mile away with real kitchen and bathroom.

7. Love
    Love
    January 22, 2024 at 2:50 PM

Leave them people alone got to live somewhere y’all would rather see them on the streets at least he did give them a roof over their heads

V Brown
      January 22, 2024 at 3:24 PM

Right

M lindsay
      January 23, 2024 at 1:19 PM

Amen

Paula
      January 23, 2024 at 1:41 PM

That’s so true. Kosciusko has no shelter where homeless can go. Kosciusko needs to provide a shelter for the homeless to be able to stay warm in the winter and cool in our summer heat and humidity!

mike o'neal
      January 23, 2024 at 4:51 PM

they were GIVEN NOTHING having been paying $650.00 a month

8. Tyarra Davis
    Tyarra Davis
    January 22, 2024 at 4:00 PM

Ok I don’t understand why they feel like they should get there money back ,you stayed there knowing what it was … sorry not sorry

9. DG
    DG
    January 22, 2024 at 6:14 PM

There are a lot of those types of motels in the entire country. My concern would be people being burned to death. It has to be corrected for the safety of the people who live there.

10. Allen
    Allen
    January 22, 2024 at 8:13 PM

Certainly the city knew they were using this for long term rentals! 🤔

• GT
      GT
      January 31, 2024 at 6:18 AM

Your right! Everyone in the city and county knows the rent by the month.
      In fairness to the owner when I left Attala County due to lack of work, which happens to most young people now days too, and lived in a motel in Pearl for a month until we found a place to live.
      We did it again in Pasadena, Tx years later when my husband worked for what was Brown & Root. We wanted to add the money he made to his credit union account.
      It is probably people who can’t afford $1,000 a month for rent.
      I agree they agreed to pay knowing there was no kitchen so no refund.
      However, I’ll respectfully remind all you fine folks that those individuals are going to be section 8 vouchers and needing cut rate apartments which are probably all full.
      I’ll also remind you of what happen with the young man burned to death in a vacant house not long ago. I’d rather not hear of that happening again.
      Maybe someone should take it on themselves and fine a solution.
      Maybe a few more Habitat for Humanity homes built in the area.
      Maybe some wise soul could figure this out.
      Tiny houses would be a solution but the city doesn’t allow them and most of those people probably don’t have cars. How would they get food and other things?
      California rents hotels to house the homeless, gives them snap, and free medical care. They help them learn skills, get a job, get on their feet. Yea, they are bleeding heart liberals I know. I believe they are doing the Christian thing though.
      Just my two cents and two cents is about all it’s worth.

11. Allen
    Allen
    January 22, 2024 at 8:15 PM

It’s hard to believe that the “city” did not know that it was being used as long term rentals. 🤔

12. DATDADOO
    DATDADOO
    January 22, 2024 at 8:46 PM

Seems fee aints fee…..

13. Concerned citizen
    Concerned citizen
    January 22, 2024 at 9:42 PM

They’re talking about getting money back…it’s month to month.You had heat,air,water and I a**ume cable was included.For the ones that’s talking if you could have done better why didn’t you?It was stupid for the owner to say apartments!!! I just feel sorry for the ones that can’t do any better.Thawing food on a shower floor is disgusting.What do they put food in for it to be frozen?I pray the owner fix the motel according to the city’s code.If people could do better I don’t think they would choose to live like that.It’s them today and it could very well be us tomorrow.Praying for all.

• T
      T
      January 23, 2024 at 9:45 AM

Praying

14. Elaine
    Elaine
    January 22, 2024 at 10:24 PM

Leave those people along. It’s cold out here. As long as they are paying rent. Let them stay.

Bobcat
      January 25, 2024 at 6:16 PM

Elaine, I think the complaint is about safety reasons.

15. For real
    For real
    January 23, 2024 at 8:08 AM

Well at least people had a place to stay and they had towels cleaned and toilet paper and stuff so if it’s like that why don’t they use some of these empty buildings for a homeless shelter or something maybe then people wouldn’t be out here committing crimes and stuff just to go to jail for a meal and a bed at least the motel gives them a place to live

16. Retired
    Retired
    January 23, 2024 at 9:02 AM

No money back, they had to know what was what before paying. I myself live in such place tho I have up to date appliances microwave actually a mini kitchen bathroom living room and bed room basically 2 motel rooms into one. $900 a month utilities included crime free thus far after 2 years coming up. I very happy there, Mphs Tn.

Sherry
      January 23, 2024 at 1:13 PM

Wheres this located at in search mysekf

17. Dana
    Dana
    January 23, 2024 at 10:57 AM

You live there and you knew the situation why ask for money back

18. SO SAD
    SO SAD
    January 23, 2024 at 10:58 AM

PRAYING FOR BETTER DAYS FOR EVERYONE… GOD WILL SEE HIS PEOPLE THROUGH ALL THIS DARKNESS… 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

19. Cancan
    Cancan
    January 23, 2024 at 8:43 PM

I thought they condemned this place?

20. Jesus Child
    Jesus Child
    January 23, 2024 at 9:18 PM

Praying in Jesus name that God will bless and provide.

21. markeiea
    markeiea
    January 23, 2024 at 11:37 PM

The reason half the people that was and is staying only there cause they don’t like to pay bills. We are talking about people who had whole houses/ real apartments but they was evicted for no rental payments. So stop complaining pay the bills in the real houses and you won’t have to worry about thawing food on shower floors. You knew what it was beforehand.

22. Mamadodd
    Mamadodd
    January 24, 2024 at 12:17 PM

I agree it was in the paper. Everyone thought it was a good thing.

23. Zoe
    Zoe
    January 24, 2024 at 7:25 PM

Honestly you got people staying over there with babies and kids the conditions of that hotel is not fit even for the normal grown human they know they shouldn’t have been charging apartment fees in the first place for what the tenants were actually receiving

24. DARREN PATTERSON
    DARREN PATTERSON
    January 25, 2024 at 9:27 AM

there was alot of illegal activity going on for years…..but homeless people still need a place to stay.

25. Dawn
    Dawn
    January 25, 2024 at 2:49 PM

I agree!! There is some elderly people that live there. The $650 a month provides a roof over their head with heat and water. They are aware there isn’t a kitchen. The Mayor said he feels for the people that are affected, but I didn’t hear him with any solutions.

26. Aquasia
    Aquasia
    February 10, 2024 at 11:18 AM

Someone reported my first post