The finalists have been announced for the 2023 Mississippi Songwriter of the Year.
A panel of elite music industry judges listened to the songs and judged the lyrics to all submitted songs at the famous Wishbone Studio in Muscle Shoals, AL.
Fifteen finalists have been chosen and each will perform at Marty Stuart’s Congress of Country Music’s Ellis Theater in Philadelphia, MS on Saturday, June 24th.
The contest gives local artists a chance to highlight their musical talents.
One winner will receive $1,000 toward having their song professionally recorded and produced at a reputable studio as well as a music video produced.
For more information and to purchase tickets for the event, visit MSSongwriterOfTheYear.com.
Mississippi Songwriter of the Year 2023 Finalists:
- “Pontchartrain” – Aaron Levenson (Diamondhead, MS)
- “The Blood Covenant” – Betty Chaney (Hickory, MS)
- “Brighter Days” – Cole Hill (Purvis, MS)
- “Time to Kill” – Darrin Powell (Philadelphia,MS)
- “Moses on the Mountain” – Donald Starling (Guntown, MS)
- “Mississippi Breeze” – Drew Nunley (Kosciusko, MS)
- “Old Friends” – Elwood Simpson (Jackson, MS)
- “Shooting Star” – Ernie Welch (Corinth, MS)
- “Fixes” – Gabriel Bass (Natchez, MS)
- “Love Away Yesterday” – John Howard (Clarksdale,MS)
- “Sunday Breakdown” – Justin Kirk (Myrtle, MS)
- “Hell and Holy Water” – Kevin McGee (Carthage, MS)
- “Roots” – Naomi Taylor (Pearl, MS)
- “Road that Coal Makes Black” – Ryan Miller (Madison, MS)
- “Simple Life” – Scott Fieber (Philadelphia, MS)