Sunday Fire at Jacob’s Ladder

SHARE NOW

 

 

Firefighting is a hot job even on a cold day.  But imagine battling a roaring inferno when the outside temperature is in the triple digits.  That’s what Kosciusko firefighters faced Sunday after a store selling Christian books, music and gifts on North Madison Street caught fire….

“It is the Jacob’s Ladder building”

That’s Fire Chief Duane Burdine.

“We had a lot of firemen have to have IVs and go down”

The chief says no one was seriously injured but the heat inside the burning building plus the hot temperatures outside made it difficult to fight the fire…

“Especially with something like a metal building, it has a heavy fire load, it holds a lot of heat in.  So you’re talking 600-700 degrees inside.   And then it’s hot outside, wearing the gear anyway. So instead of staying in for 20-30 minutes, now you can’t stay in but 15-20 minutes and you have to swap out and rotate.”

Attala County firefighters were called in for assistance.  Burdine says the store was closed when the fire broke out but some people were in the building….

“They reported they saw smoke upstairs.  Of course, when we got here they were all out”

The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.

In a Facebook message, the store said it will be closed “until further notice”.

7 comments
  1. Leanne Howell Gary
    Leanne Howell Gary
    August 13, 2023 at 9:57 PM

    Thank you to everyone for the prayers and encouragement. You are all appreciated so much.

    Reply
    • Ann Breedlove
      Ann Breedlove
      August 14, 2023 at 11:55 PM

      I am so terribly sorry! You are in my prayers!

      Reply
  2. Brenda J Jarriel
    Brenda J Jarriel
    August 13, 2023 at 10:43 PM

    Where is this?

    Reply
  3. Gail Bouldin
    Gail Bouldin
    August 14, 2023 at 12:50 AM

    I am so sorry, leanne and brad. Our prayers are with you.

    Reply
  4. Leslie Dees
    Leslie Dees
    August 14, 2023 at 6:35 AM

    So sorry this happened. Praying for you all.

    Reply
  5. Jerry King and Denise King
    Jerry King and Denise King
    August 14, 2023 at 10:31 AM

    Extremely thankful my sister and brother-in-law were not injured. Things can be replaced but a life cannot be. Prayers for blessings from above as they endeavor to start over. We love you Leanne and Brad.

    Reply
  6. Glenn and Louise Maughon
    Glenn and Louise Maughon
    October 12, 2023 at 2:52 PM

    Leanne, we just found out today 10-12-23 about the fire. We are so sorry to hear this. So thankful everyone was ok. Our love and prayers are with y’all. Glenn and Louise Maughon.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

We encourage open dialogue but if you disagree with someone, please disagree respectfully. Cruelty will not be tolerated. This is a family-friendly group.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *